Sunday, 28 September 2014

Quilt bug

I had an idea about a quilt and couldn't sleep Friday night. Ended up in my sewing room instead and skipped sleeping all together.

It started out as some improv blocks with lots of fabrics lines

My old orphan bee blocks from fitted perfectly

Then I added some geese

And one by Sunday night it looks like this

Now I'm trying to figure out the next step. think I may have caught the quiltbug again...

Sunday, 31 August 2014

A finish

I finished the Kaledeiscope quilt. It deserves an outdoor picture but it's raining cats and dogs so this will have to do. It was lots of fun to make this - it's from Stephanie's book 'Uncommonly Corduroy'. I enlarged the pattern slightly so the quilt ended up at 74x74 inches.

It's made in Anna Marie Horner and Amy Butler fabrics - lots of color, lots of movement.

The background is dark grey fleece and the binding is polka dot

I love it....

Monday, 25 August 2014


My friend Heidie and I agreed to make our own little Farmers Wife QAL - and to use the same color palette in blue, red and white. Yep, a little out of of my safety zone. No teal, no orange.

I have a feeling that although we use the same pattern and the same coclors, the quilts will come out very differently.

Though dragging my feet at first, I'm becoming more and more excited about the project. I've pulled an eclectic mix of fabrics - modern, 30'ties, Japanese and traditional,Tilda etc. I was quite surprised that I had so many reds. Maybe that's because I rarely use reds?

Now the fabrics are all washed and ironed. I've planned the first eight blocks and made the templates. The rest I will make as I go along. At least 4 small blocks a month, that's doable, right?


Sunday, 24 August 2014

Morning tea

I'm having my morning tea while doing some enjoyable binding. I still need a bit more quilting in the small bits but this quilt has been glue basted for so long I was afraid it would start to come apart.  So I secured the bigger lines and got started on the binding. This is of course a total no-no so please don't tell the quilting police.

Of course it's all wrinkly from the handling and in badly need of a iron, but still.. Almost beat a sunrise, doesn't it?

Monday, 11 August 2014

A fair warning...

As a friend I recommend you forget about going to the Festival of Quilts in Birmingham... It's highly addictive and can be very, very expensive. To top that off there's also a serious number of mind blowing fantastic quilts at display that is guaranteed to mess with your mind and make you dream of long quilting days and no work. Seriously, if you still insist on going its on your own risk ;) I just went though my spoils of war and are trying to estimate the damages. 

Some great books:

Some nick-nacks and notions:

And a bag to carry it all in:

Fabrics of course - here's the pile with the larger pieces - all between 1 and 3 yards:

Some red and blues - my friend Heidie challenged me to a Farmers Wife in blue, red and white. I feel slightly petrified, but who am I to turn down a challenge. Well be making one each. Do you want to join in?

Here my perhaps favourite purchase - the most surprising of them all. New to me, Kim Porter's worn and washed fabrics. Fantastic coordinated fabrics - mostly cotton, but also flannel and cordouy. Such treasures...: 

And finally some small FQs that was just to yummy to pass:

There was lots of quilts on display - too many to really study them all even if we spent the better part of a day to just browsing. My favourite quilts were all in the traditional and contemporary section:

This one looked a bits 'messy' from a distance but once you got closer each and everyone of the little hexies were pillars of skills. Wow... I can't even begin to imagine how many little pieces of fabrics went into this Australian quilt by Zinzia White:

Fish in the sea - Pam Stanier:

Barbara Bagg:

A light and airy simple star proves that complicated isn't always a neccesicity - #722 in the catalogue 

Marlene Jankers:

Pauline Tiney - Four stars - very happy and bright and wonderfully balanced with the light centres;
And finally this big quilt all in dotted fabric - so much fun - by Anita Gogerty:

Okay, if you made it to the end, I seriously admire you. You might have caught the Quilt Festival bug. If so, maybe I'll see you there next year.