Tuesday 18 September 2018

Quilt Festival 2018 - BOM quilt

This is my second entry into the Quilt festival:



I'm one of those, who grew up never thinking I would ever sew or be crafty. It wasn't until I was in my late 20'ties that I saw a New England style quilt in a magazine, that I dared to venture into the quilt world. As a newbie... what do you do? I turned to Youtube and blogs and started picking up techniques and instructions from our community. It was awesome and soon I was complelety hooked.

Back in 2012 there was a Bloggers BOM and I joined in because I knew I would be forced to learn some new techniques. The QAL was hugely popular and there was lot's of talented designers, which each made their block. I ended up making two of each and finally had a decent amount of blocks at hand. I just had no idea of what to do with them. There wasn't enough for a large quilt.

All the BOM blocks


It wasn't until end of 2017, where I pulled the block out of hiding and finally got an idea of what to do with them. I added strips as a background to really make the center stand out. The BOM blocks  are mostly modern, but the placing makes this quilt feel more traditional. The strips frame them in a more modern way. It's simple, but effective.



This quilt was finished in spring 2018 and ended up at 80x80. I didn't want to ruin this quilt with my lousy own quilting, so I sent it to Diane for a professional quilting. She made an awesome all over quilting, that I think emphasises the modern light feel.



Finnaly added a simple striped border, that makes the colors pop before handing it over to my sister as a gift, where it's being treasured, used and loved just like all quilts should.



This is my second entry into the Bloggers Quilt festival. Though I only had a brief glance at the other quilt entries so far, I can't wait to dive in and see what everybody has made. I' know I'm in for a treat.

31 comments:

  1. This is beautiful. Denise@fortheloveofgeese

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so beautiful! I remember this QAL and my mom actually made this quilt! I love the setting you came up with -- it's unique and fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was very popular :) Lots of great and very different quilts came out of it. Hope your mother is happy about hers too.

      Delete
  3. Setting the blocks off in the center is a beautiful and very effective design decision! I think the bright border prints really help draw your eye to center and the stripe binding is a super fun finishing touch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you...
      It just sort of build it self as I got started. Always fun when that happens :)

      Delete
  4. WOW! That is gorgeous! I love the quilt in a quilt design. And though it is a simple touch, I think striped bindings are the best and really set off the whole quilt. This one is a real treasure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind words - I love striped bindings too. Sort of calms down the quite a colourful quilt.

      Delete
  5. Hi Cillie! That is just a fabulous quilt to share during the festival. So you started the blocks in 2012 but when did you finish it? I'm 100% sure that your sister is really enjoying it, and feeling the love each time she gets to snuggle under it. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i just finished it in the winter of 2018 *blush*

      Delete
  6. I love the setting of this quilt. Sometimes you have to wait for the right time and experience to put a quilt together. Looks like the time was right for this one. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree... there’s a time and place for every block :)

      Delete
  7. That's really pretty - I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Replies
    1. Thank you - I do too. A bit spunky, right:)

      Delete
  9. So funny, I know all about lousy quilting - I get so frustrated with my skill level but can't afford to send them out.
    I am in love with the color palette you chose and how you offset the sampler blocks. Gotta pin it now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know.... this is the second quilt that Diane quilted for me. Though she has very fair prices, it is expensive but also totally worth it.

      Delete
  10. Holy OMG. This is stunning. One question....How many hours did you spend figuring out the math to make all this come together? I am literally green with envy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha... thank you for your very kind comment. Honestly... no math at all. I was never any good at math. After joining the center block I just added strips picked from my stash, that I liked until I thought it looked balanced. A confession, that is not a booster for being popular and sounds really dorky, but most of my quilts start of with a plan but usually end up with something else.

      Delete
  11. beautiful finish on this quilt ... i like the orientation of your blocks

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOVE this setting for a sampler quilt! So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your quilt is beautiful - such a great way to use those blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such fun blocks in your quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a beautiful quilt, Cille. I especially like how you set the sampler part on point and added triangles on the corners to create a square quilt. The striped binding is also a fun touch.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is awesome! I love how your set the blocks on point and added the borders.

    ReplyDelete