Wednesday 20 July 2011

Ups and downs in France...

Online for the first time in 1,5 week. And trying to catch up on all the lovely and fun projects I can see on the blogs I read. Feels like I have been away for a long time. My fingers are itching to get started quilting again...

While travelling  I tried knitting a scarf  (or rather a stole wrap kind of shawl). So far so good.It measures a little over 1 meter so I need to make a bit more to get the desired effect. I think it will be done before were going home on Saturday.




First week in France was just lovely. Beyond lovely actually. The second week so far has not been quite as good unfortunately. We started off in Southern Ardeche and were lucky to stay in the most charming house with a view beyond anything I have ever tried before. Our kitchen area/living room opened out to a huge terrace that overlooked the mountains. An extra plus was that the house we rented was owned by an old charming Monsiur and all houses near was owned by other parts of his family. All had family visitors while we were there so there was tons of children all ages, aunts, grand mothers, and uncles. While we could have risked being the odd ones, the tourists, the intruders, everybody was so nice to us and made us feel part of it all. Here is a funny picture I took of myself on the terrace reflecting the amazing view in the windows.


The second week we went a bit north and it has not been as good for many reasons. First of all the weather in Bourgone has been less than great. Today it was 12 degrees and raining all day. On our second day my kids defied the cold and insisted to go swimming in the pool. My oldest hit his foot hard against the metal gate and we ended up in the emergency room with a broken toe. Now he is on crotches  Poor him. The house is not well suited as there are steep stairs all over.. And it is not exactly easy to explore cities on crouches either so we are pretty much house bound. We're trying to make the best of it watching vidios and drinking good wine but I think I really have just hit the point where I am ready to return home to my sewing machine and warm, comfy house. We'll see how it goes in the next few days...

I made some good progress on a new quilt before we left and look forward to post some update pictures when I am back.

No comments:

Post a Comment